Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Countdown & So Busy!

With two shows coming up in the next three weeks, it seems like all I do is paint and sleep. Ha! I only wish. I still have to do everything else in between the painting and sleeping. But here are two boxes I've been working on. This is a much larger size box than I normally work on, so there was actually a lot of painting involved for these ones. They took a lot longer than I had expected and I'm going to have to ask a higher price for them. I dunno. Would anyone pay $200 for a box? Guess I'll find out.


Sometimes I get bored painting the same old stuff so I like to throw something in that's a bit different. It's usually a copycat of something like this cute little Octopus Girl that is similar to a painting in the Disneyland Haunted Mansion. I've always dug on the artwork in the haunted mansion...it's fun and a bit warped. Although I was a bit disturbed to realize that she actually looks like a Brats Doll. I didn't like her so much after that.


I've been working on decoupaging a lot of my original art prints. The originals for all of these prints were sold last year, but I love to still use them in my decoupaged plaques & candles too. I just don't believe in keeping any of my own artwork. I have tons of art from artists that I admire, but not one piece of my own art hangs in my home. Weird, huh?


These are my sacred heart/amor eterno boxes and are my original design. Using a blend of polymer clay, textured paints & lots of highlighting & darkening effects, I've come up with these boxes & plaques that are totally unique. I'm hoping they'll sell as well as they always do! I need to pay the mortgage next month. jeje


And then of course there are mermaid mirrors, Catrina paintings (only this one isn't Catrina...she's Miss Sunny and her dog Daisybones). Daisy was the name of my first dog. She was a handmedown beagle and as sweet natured as her name. Despite a flatulence problem. Miss Sunny's dress is based on Sunny Baudelaire's dress from A Series of Unfortunate Events. I love the costumes in that movie and had a plan to make a whole series of paintings using variations of those costumes...but well...I just ran out of time.


This nicho de Guadalupe was a commission piece and was recently delivered to California to a very happy customer. It is always a big sigh of relief when a commission piece is finished and the customer is pleased with the outcome. It's not really my preference to do commissions but it's sometimes a necessary evil. The only time I'll really turn down is a commission is if the customer is asking me to do something really off the wall like a Tuscan landscape or a rosy cheeked cherub (yeah I've been asked to paint those!). Come on...if you can't see that bleached white bones and death grins are my thing, then I've gotta say uh...sorry no...I'm simply swamped with orders!

Fortunately I've been so busy that I haven't had much time for eating. Go figure that one! Well except late at night when my stomach is making so much noise that I swear if I look down at it I will see something alive and moving in there. I've lost a steady 2.5 lbs. a week for the past three weeks in a row. I wish I could say it's noticeable and everyone is saying "Wow Pam you look great are you losing weight?" But nope. I just have to be patient with my stubborn 48 year old hysterectomized body. In any case, I feel pretty darn good. And we're going out to eat tonight at Pei Wei in El Paso! Owned by PFChangs but so much cheaper...same food less bucks...my kinda place. I plan on eating 25 of my allotted 32 WW points tonight on one bowl of Dan Dan noodles with spicy chicken. Geez I've missed chinese food! And then I'm dropping off my husband and the little squirt at the Walk with the Dinosaurs show while me and my eldest beauty are headed to the mall for a little splurge spending at Torrid. Yeah man...life is good!

4 comments:

GlorV1 said...

Everything looks great. You are an awesome creator/painter and I hope you sell a lot at your show. Thx for sharing.

Sacred Yoli said...

Girl, you are gonna rock it at those shows. You know I am a huge fan of your arte! I get compliments all the time of your pieces.

Congrats on the loss of poundage!

Carolyn said...

Your boxes are really beautiful!
I really like the cute little Octopus Girl, I did not see bratz in her at all when I was browsing through the pictures. The only thing maybe a tad similar would be that the head is larger than the body ratio. But, had you never mentioned that, I would of never even thought that. I had to look for similarities after reading that. Your funny!
Ohhh the decopauged boxes and the 3d boxes so amazing! All of it is awesome! Your inventory looks good! I consentrated on jewelry so much that, that is the bulk of what I have!
Your commisioned Guadalupe is stunning! I wish I had one in my house. What a beautiful piece!!
You are doing sooo good on your weight watchers. I'm jelous. You loose a steady average of 2.5 lbs. a week? Nice.. I loose a about 1.4 a week! I'm not mad at only loosing a pound a week, because at least im loosing not gaining! BUT, I am mad because I know I could be loosing more, But I am sooo bad at not really counting for dinner! I can count all day till dinner. Then, it's pig out time! WHY? .. LOL But I think i'm getting better each week! You are doing great! It's not good to loose too much too soon. My cousin is on a calorie counting diet and can only have like 1200 calories a day. I'm pretty sure that is how much she can have? Anyway, She lost 9lbs. the first week, then next she lost 7lbs. She is doing awesome. But, when you loose too much too fast it comes back even faster. I like weight watchers because it teaches you to eat good the rest of your life! So... I'm gonna stick with this one.
Well, have a good week & I'll see you at the show next weekend!
PS. Are you bringing a dish? They asked everyone (optional) to bring a dish so no one has to buy food..? I might bring a frozen lasagna? thawed out of course! ..

catboxartstudio said...

You should have NO trouble selling any of your art no matter where you're selling it! It all looks fabulous, colorful and detailed! Your next show should have all kinds of cash flow comin' at ya! I'd be shocked if you didn't, seriously! Good luck at the next show! Hey, congrats too on the weight loss!